Erected in 1832, the Spurzheim Monument was the beginning of a new trend in funerary monuments.
Two of Boston’s eminent historical figures converge in the Perkins Monument, sculpted in 1843.
The Naval Monument, a memorial to members of the U.S. Exploring Edition lost in 1839 and 1840, was designed by Drayton, an artist of the scientific corps, in the 1840s.
The monument for Rev. Charles T. Torrey, also known as “The Slave Monument,” was designed and carved by brothers Joseph and Thomas A. Carew in 1846.