Scots’ Charitable Society Lot Fence
Purchased in 1841 by the Scots’ Charitable Society for its members, this lot memorializes over 200 people.Unlike many of the traditional monuments at Mount Auburn, those buried in the Scots’ Charitable Society lot do not have headstones or grave markers. The memorial for all is the cast iron fence itself, adorned with the image of St. Andrew, patron Saint of Scotland. The ornate fence also displays Scottish thistles and crests.
This lot was a creative exercise of economy: Mount Auburn’s family lots were cost-prohibitive for many working class families, and for those who did not have families, or the resources to fund their own family plot, the Scots’ Charitable Society lot provided a means of commemoration for the dead.
Leave a Reply