Open Position: Gardening Technician
The Gardening Technician performs a wide variety of duties associated with the overall Horticulture Department. Primary responsibilities include the oversight, care, and maintenance of gardens at the following locations: the Front Entrance Area, Administration Building, Gatehouse, Story Chapel, Asa Gray Garden, and Bigelow Chapel. Additional responsibilities include transplanting, pruning, watering, weed management, invasive species management, landscape renovation projects, IPM implementation, Recycle Area duties, greenhouse work, tree work, training and developing seasonal staff and interns, and snow removal.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with a small crew of seasonal employees that perform the maintenance of Special Area Gardens which includes trees, shrubs, perennials, groundcovers, hardscape and maintain associated records
• Train seasonal employees, interns, and volunteers in gardening duties as requested
• Perform the maintenance of high profile, complex gardens at the Front Entrance Area, Administration Building, Gatehouse, Story Chapel, Asa Gray Garden, and Bigelow Chapel.
• Assists with maintenance of other Special Garden Areas such as Birch Gardens, Tower Meadow, Harvard Hill, Spruce Knoll, and Conscration Dell as needed.
• Perform maintenance on curb lots, fence lots, roses and perennial beds
• Assist Arboriculture Supervisor with all phases of tree work as requested. Performs ornamental tree pruning work during the winter months.
• Perform IPM and Plant Health Care functions including pest monitoring, spraying, fertilizing, mulching and watering
• Assist with nursery area including planting, transplanting and maintenance
• Put out floral decorations on lots for holidays
• Assists with Greenhouse operations as needed especially during busy holiday times.
• May be required to help internment crew set up graves, green up graves, carry caskets when other labor is not available.
• Assist with snow removal as necessary
• Responsible for correctly using an automated method (time badges) for the purpose of time and attendance recordkeeping. Employees are only authorized to use their own personal swipe badge.
• Responsible for Recycling Area duties such as operating backhoe, front-end loader, dump truck, and soil screener. Assists with the general operation and organization of the Recycling Area.
• May be required to perform other duties as requested by the Superintendent of Grounds to assist other Sections or Departments
• Follow all Cemetery safety policies and procedures related to assigned tasks, including wearing personal protective equipment (eye and hearing protecting, gloves, etc.), proper handling of chemicals, ladder safety, and lifting and moving heavy objects. Bring unsafe conditions to the attention of the Gardening Supervisor and makes suggestions to improve safe working practices.
• Degree in Ornamental Horticulture or related field, or equivalent training
• Three to five years of horticulture work experience, estate gardening experience desired
• Ability to obtain Massachusetts Core Pesticide Applicator’s License within 1 year of hire.
• Arboriculture experience or desire to learn and perform tree work
• Driver’s license
• Ability to obtain Massachusetts Hoisting License 2A within 1 year of hire
• MCA, ISA or MCH certification desired
• Ability to speak English and Spanish preferred
• Ability to communicate successfully with staff, outside vendors and contractors, lot owners, customers and visitors
• Ability to use radio communications equipment
• Must present a good professional image in dress, grooming and personal hygiene per the Cemetery’s dress code policy
REQUIRED PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Ability to shovel soil, snow, and mulch and to lift fertilizer, lime, soil mixes, peatmoss, trees, shrubs and logs up to 80 pounds
• Ability to use and operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment such as pole pruners, leafblower, rototiller, snowblower, chipper and chain saws
• Ability to lift caskets for interments up to 100 pounds
• Ability to bend, walk, and/or stand for long periods of time
• Works outdoors in all seasons, including harsh weather conditions
All employees of Mount Auburn Cemetery are “at will’ employees and must adhere to Mount Auburn’s “Code of Conduct.”
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, age, pregnancy, citizenship status, physical or mental ability, military status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume, as MS Word documents, by email to email@example.com stating the job title in the subject line. You can also mail a cover letter and resume to Mount Auburn Cemetery, 580 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, Attention: Human Resources. No telephone calls please.
Comments are closed.