Freeland Mausoleum Constructed
Designed by noted Boston architects William Robert Ware and Henry Van Brunt, the Freeland mausoleum on Lawn Avenue was the first freestanding tomb constructed at the Cemetery, erected in 1874. Ware and Van Brunt designed several other local landmarks, including the Ether Memorial in Boston’s Public Garden and Memorial Hall at Harvard University.
William Robert Ware (1826 – 1914), the “father of architectural education in America,” founded the schools of architecture at MIT and at Columbia University. He is buried at Mount Auburn on Locust Avenue.